1/1 Photo of French Quarter Bean Soup
I am posting this recipe on request of another member. I have never made it myself but she said it is very good so I will have to try now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 lbs ham hocks
- 32 ounces tomatoes, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, sliced, cooked and drained
- 1 lb chicken thigh
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Rinse the beans.
- 2In a Dutch oven, combine the beans and enough water to cover.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 4Remove from the heat.
- 5Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or you could just soak the beans over night.).
- 7Add 6 cups fresh water and the ham hocks.
- 8Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- 9Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 10Remove the ham hocks.
- 11When cool enough to handle, cut off the meat and chop. Discard the bones.
- 12Return the meat to the bean mixture.
- 13Add the undrained tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves and red pepper, then add the sliced sausage and chicken thighs.
- 14Bring to a boil.
- 15Reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour or until the chicken and beans are tender.
- 16Remove the chicken thighs and cool slightly.
- 17Remove the meat from the bones and chop.
- 18Discard the bones and return the meat to the soup.
- 19Add the parsley and remove the bay leaves.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Quarter Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.4 mg
- Sodium 230.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 14.0 g