Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a pot roast recipe that I came up with years ago when I was wanting to do something a little bit different with my roast.
- 3 lbs beef roast
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Mix soup, thyme and wine together.
- Pour over roast in a dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat for 2 hours.
- When roast is done to taste, remove from pan.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water in a glass.
- Turn heat up under pan juices to high.
- Bring to a boil, then slowly add cornstarch mixture while stirring constantly.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Slice meat and serve with the mushroom gravy.
This is nearly the identical recipe I made for my mother one Mom's Day, except it called for Beefy-onion soup mix. To die for! We served it with roasted red potatoes and were in heaven. I highly recommend trying this.
This is a fantastic recipe. I cooked it in my slow cooker on low for 8 hours. I browned the roast first but this isn't necessary if time doesn't permit. I love red wine as a base for the broth.
This was a really good roast. I put all of the ingredients in the crockpot for 7hrs ,and then I had a very tender roast. The only thing I didn't add was the mushrooms ,but I think next time I will try them. Thanks Mystergirl for such a delightful and easy main course.