Recipe by ketchup
I love this easy roast. I got it from an old free flyer on some grocery product years ago. Good with mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 5 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 2 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 stalks celery, chunked
- 12 carrots, cleaned and chunked
- 1 cup mushroom, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown roast in large heavy pot in bacon grease.
- Drain off excess grease; add water, wine, bouillon, hot sauce, brown sugar and all spices.
- Bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer.
- Cover pot and allow roast to cook 3 hours turning meat occasionally.
- Add vegetables and allow to simmer another 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When done remove roast and vegetables and add 2 tablespoons cornstarch with a small amount of water to the drippings for a gravy and cook until thickened.