Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Peas came in late this year. Not enough to freeze like I always do so instead I tried this simple, tasty treat because I love lettuce, peas, and with a bit of butter. The new scallions that I pulled up from the earth, the fresh lettuce, snipped, and the peas just make such a treat to devour and enjoy the accomplishment of these garden treats.
- 3 small scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or any oil)
- 1 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock (heated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste- don't add if the dish tastes perfect!)
- In a saucepan, cook the scallions in the butter and oil until soft.
- Stir in the shredded lettuce, until wilted adding frozen peas and stock.
- Simmer, uncovered, until everything is tender and the liquid flavorful and liquid reduced.
I used organic: scallions, iceburg lettuce and frozen peas. Fresh garlic for dried. Yummy!
Tasted even better the next day for lunch. Be sure to reduce the liquid or the peas
will be too soggy to serve. A classic! Reviewed for Veg Tag February.
I read the reviews and put in my whole lettuce and thought, what a lot of lettuce....... but its not! I definitely loved the idea of cooked lettuce, I'm not a huge lettuce fan but like this, its very edible!!! Very easily prepared, and yes, I used the garlic powder. I also used garlic/herb stock rather than chicken. I made this as a side to Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas & Rice for a truly excellent vegetarian dinner! Thanks, Andi! Made for Aus/NZ swap#34
I really liked this! I thought there might have been a typo....a whole head of lettuce? So I only put half in, but otherwise followed the recipe. I'm sorry I halved the lettuce. It practically disappeared as it cooked. A deliciously different green side. Made for Fall PAC 2009.