Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Pastry cream is a light, rich custard filling for any cake, fruit tart, puff or dessert crepe. Lovely poured over fresh fruit cup. Quick and easy to make.
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups milk to boiling.
- While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining 1/4 cup milk.
- Whisk in cornstarch and flour until smooth.
- Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking in about 1/3 of the heated milk, then whisking in the remaining milk.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- Whisk constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla or other flavorings.
- Pour into a bowl, press plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and cool to room temperature before chilling for at least 2 hours.
This is a perfect PASTRY cream! Wonderful for creme puffs or eclairs and such. This is NOT a pudding consistancy. It is made for piping. Absolutely perfect and now my go to recipe! THANKS Gingerbee
This is delicious! My new go-to pastry cream! I'm making a tart and I might leave out the flour next time I do that again, but it's perfect as is for Ã©clairs, etc. Absolutely fantastic.
This is an excellent recipe, and easily the best custard I have ever made. I have never had it come out wrong. Keep in mind this is a recipe for PASTRY cream. It ends up stiff enough to be piped into pastry. I have used this in trifle and it was lovely for that. One of my favorites. Thanks Gingerbee!