Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
They don't call me the Sassy Chef for nothing, This onion pie is so delicious, a taste teaser, almost as good as "french onion soup" andthis dish has already acquired many fans. Since I love bread and soup, why not pull the two together in a harmonious ensemble of flavors... crusted dough, onions, beef and cheese. When the cheese melts on top and the broth meets the cheese, it looks so gourmet, and you will feel very proud of yourself. It makes a nice dish for any occasion.
- 2 -3 sweet onions, peeled, cut into rings, and cut in halves
- 1 pre-made refrigerater pie crust
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 small beef bouillon cubes or 1 large beef bouillon cube
- 2 slices swiss gruyere cheese or 2 slices muenster cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 deep dish pie plate
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease your pie or tarte deep dish plate. .
- In meantime of dough stick setting out at room temperature, slice onions into rings, then cut in half, so you should have long thin strips of onions, about 3-4" .
- Back to the pie shell, place dough inside dish, fancy your sides, I like to pinch the sides etc, and give the shell a nice egg wash, not too much. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the shell is nice and golden brown, careful not to burn.
- While the shell bakes, sautee onions in a frying pan or skillet alongside the butter and beef cubes. I gradually add the beef flavor cubes one at a time, depending on the flavor, (beef cubes are very salty so use to your descretion, two small is fine) The onions should take almost as long the pie shell, they are ready when the onions have begun to carmelize. Remove your shell from the oven, place sauteed hot onions inside the dish, top with two slices of cheese, and bake until cheese begins to melts, I allow brown spots to form to give it an authentic feel. You can also use shredded cheese to your preference.
Made this recipe as given, with the 3 onions & the gruyere cheese slices ~ Wonderfully tasty & delightful, & a recipe I'd make again, for sure! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
Sassy's savory pie has two more fans here! What a nice lunch we had--thank you. Made as posted except I added more cheese b/c this was lunch. I used two beef cubes (3.7 g) and next time will use only one. I would also use a smaller baking dish as I think, IMO, the ratio of crust to filling is too high. Will I make again-- definitely yes! In fact, when I told my dh that we should eat it all up, he told me to "let me at it." And you know what--it is gone.
If you love onions (and cheese), you'll love this! I made this as directed, using the gruyere cheese. I actually put some gruyere on the bottom as well as the top. It was cheesy and delicious. Thanx for sharing!