1/2 Photos of French Onions on a Half Shell
Sassy Red Chef's Note:
They don't call me the Sassy Chef for nothing, This onion pie is so delicious, a taste teaser, almost as good as "french onion soup" andthis dish has already acquired many fans. Since I love bread and soup, why not pull the two together in a harmonious ensemble of flavors... crusted dough, onions, beef and cheese. When the cheese melts on top and the broth meets the cheese, it looks so gourmet, and you will feel very proud of yourself. It makes a nice dish for any occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease your pie or tarte deep dish plate. .
- 2In meantime of dough stick setting out at room temperature, slice onions into rings, then cut in half, so you should have long thin strips of onions, about 3-4" .
- 3Back to the pie shell, place dough inside dish, fancy your sides, I like to pinch the sides etc, and give the shell a nice egg wash, not too much. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the shell is nice and golden brown, careful not to burn.
- 4While the shell bakes, sautee onions in a frying pan or skillet alongside the butter and beef cubes. I gradually add the beef flavor cubes one at a time, depending on the flavor, (beef cubes are very salty so use to your descretion, two small is fine) The onions should take almost as long the pie shell, they are ready when the onions have begun to carmelize. Remove your shell from the oven, place sauteed hot onions inside the dish, top with two slices of cheese, and bake until cheese begins to melts, I allow brown spots to form to give it an authentic feel. You can also use shredded cheese to your preference.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onions on a Half Shell
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.2
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 453.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g