Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Prepared French onion soup and sherry make a wonderful sauce for these steaks smothered with mushrooms. Egg noodles are a great accompaniment to soak up all the juices.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 4 boneless sirloin steaks, about 1 3/4 pounds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Melt 2 T butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes until browned and liquid has evaporated. Transfer to bowl.
- Start to cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt.
- Brown 2 steaks, 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to bowl with mushrooms. Repeat process with remaining steaks.
- Return steaks and mushrooms to skillet.
- Add 1/3 cup dry sherry and bring to a boil; boil 30 seconds.
- Add French onion soup and 2/3 cup water; return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes until steaks are tender and sauce has reduced slightly.
- Drain noodles. Serve steaks with noodles and your favorite vegetable.
Very yummy. Couple small changes, reduced noodles to 6 oz & steaks to 1 1/4 lb which normally feeds 4 comfortably in our household. Cut the salt abit also. Everything came out perfect. I really enjoyed the mushroom sauce, thanks for sharing.
I mixed everything up and put it in a pan on the grill and cooked it on low for about an hour. This was really good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add as much salt. I also didn't use the butter and cook the mushroom first. I just added them all to the pan. Hubby really enjoyed it. I love that it is easy to put together and is made with ingredients I normally have on hand.
This is a great simple recipe, only a few ingredients but the flavour is fantastic, both DH & I loved this and will be this making again soon. I only had sweet sherry so I used that and I wasn't able to get canned french onion soup so I used a half pkt dried french onion soup with a little extra water, was still fabulous even with my substitutions. Thanks Lainey.