Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 9 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- In a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat, cook sherry until bubbling.
- Add the onions, and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook onions slowly, stirring frequently, for at least 20 minutes, until they begin to form a paste.
- Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes , until garlic begins to look brown.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with pepper and salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and float a slice of toasted bread on top of each serving.
Oh! yum yum yum... It looks like we share taste in more than just Feta cheese. The toasted bread is a perfect touch... but croutons are fun if you're serving this at a dinner party (nice starter dont you think?). I'll see if I can post a baked alaska recipe for you that you dont already have :)))
Great recipe! I added a few spices to give it a bit more flavor, I thought that was kind of lacking. But I love that its not made with tons of butter! We made ours in bread bowls and put them in the broiler with some smoked swiss cheese! Great amount of onions and perfect flavor with the sherry!