Recipe by C. Taylor
This is a tasty and easy recipe. We love onion soup, so I came up with this to satisfy our craving on those cold nights.
- 3 -4 large onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 quart beef broth
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 -10 slices French bread
- 8 -10 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the onions into thin slivers lengthwise and add to a pot (nonstick) over medium - medium high flame with the olive oil, butter and salt. Keep stirring until onions have browned (a deep brown), making sure not to burn them.
- Add the flour, garlic powder and herbs, and continue stirring for another few minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, beer, boullion, and worcesteshire, and bring to a boil. Let simmer for another 10 minutes, making sure there aren't any lumps of flour or onion.
- Toast the french bread. Fill an oven proof ramekin with soup, then top with a slice of bread, a slice of chees and a sprinkle of parmesan. Broil in oven until cheese is golden brown.