Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh wow. This is from Cooking Light. January 2000.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallots or 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 12 ounces boneless sirloin steaks, cut into 2-inch strips
- 4 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 12 slices French baguettes
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- Combine boiling water and shiitakes in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain the shiitakes in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Slice shiitakes, discarding stems.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, shallots, ginger, and garlic; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the shiitakes, button mushrooms, sugar, and beef.
- Sauté 10 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add reserved mushroom liquid, 4 cups water, and the next 4 ingredients (water through consommé); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 ovenproof soup bowls; top each serving with 2 bread slices and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Broil 3 inches from heat 1 minute or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.