In Rachael Ray's Book of 10
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces (about 10 leaves)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1Preheat the broiler to high.
- 2Heat a large deep pot over medium to med-high heat; add in olive oil and butter.
- 3When the butter melts, start adding the onions as you slice them.
- 4Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- 5Cook the onions 15-18 minutes, until tender, sweet, and caramel colored, stirring often.
- 6If you find the onions are burning in spots before browning all over, add a splash of water and stir now and then, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- 7While the onions are cooking, make the topping: in a small bowl, combine the grape tomatoes, basil, grated cheese, salt, and pepper.
- 8Under the broiler or toaster oven, toast the crusty bread until golden; rub each side of the toast with the crushed garlic clove.
- 9Once the onions are done, add the balsamic vinegar and white wine, stirring up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- 10Add in the stock; cover to bring to a quick boil.
- 11Arrange 4 small, deep soup bowls or crocks on a cookie sheet.
- 12Once the soup reaches a boil, ladle it into the bowls.
- 13Float a toasted bread slice on each serving and cover each toast with a mound of grape tomato mixture.
- 14Top with 2 slices of the mozzarella cheese.
- 15Slide the cookie sheet under the hot broiler until the cheese melts and bubbles.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup With an Italian Attitude
Serving Size: 1 (739 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.7
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 1664.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: