Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In Rachael Ray's Book of 10
Make and share this French Onion Soup With an Italian Attitude recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces (about 10 leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Heat a large deep pot over medium to med-high heat; add in olive oil and butter.
- When the butter melts, start adding the onions as you slice them.
- Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Cook the onions 15-18 minutes, until tender, sweet, and caramel colored, stirring often.
- If you find the onions are burning in spots before browning all over, add a splash of water and stir now and then, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- While the onions are cooking, make the topping: in a small bowl, combine the grape tomatoes, basil, grated cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Under the broiler or toaster oven, toast the crusty bread until golden; rub each side of the toast with the crushed garlic clove.
- Once the onions are done, add the balsamic vinegar and white wine, stirring up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the stock; cover to bring to a quick boil.
- Arrange 4 small, deep soup bowls or crocks on a cookie sheet.
- Once the soup reaches a boil, ladle it into the bowls.
- Float a toasted bread slice on each serving and cover each toast with a mound of grape tomato mixture.
- Top with 2 slices of the mozzarella cheese.
- Slide the cookie sheet under the hot broiler until the cheese melts and bubbles.