This is a traditional French onion soup recipe. It is not difficult to make....although you can use canned/prepared stock, it is best when made with "homemade" beef stock, as the canned/prepared stocks tend to be too salty.
- Slice the onions very thinly.
- Cook them in butter until clear (do not let them brown).
- Add stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the brandy.
- Toast the bread towards the end of the cooking time, place the grated Gruyère on the toasted bread and float on the top of the soup.
- If the soup is served in ovenproof bowls, you can place the filled bowls under the broiler for a minute or so to brown the cheese.