Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This pizza has great flavors. If you like onion soup you will love this
- 283.49 g pizza dough
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 14.79 ml flour
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 149.68 g gruyere cheese, sliced in chunks
- Add butter to skillet over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add onions, garlic, a good sprinkling of salt and pepper, and thyme. Allow onions to sweat down for about 10 minutes, then stir and let continue to sweat another 5 minutes.
- Add wine and beef broth, simmering about 5-10 minutes or until wine starts to oxidize and turn brown. When onions are cooked through, drain and save the broth and wine mixture.
- Add flour to wine and broth and boil mixture about 10 minutes it should be significantly reduced toabout 1/4 of what you started with.
- Remove from heat and add cream.
- Shape pizza dough into 10-12 inch diameter, 1/4 inch thick disk.
- Put reduced sauce on dough.
- Top with onions and then layer with chunks of Gruyere. Bake at 325 degrees on a middle to lower middle rack for about 15 minutes, checking to make sure the Gruyere doesn't burn.
A differet kind of pizza! The only thing I changed was I used a 10" pita as my little grocery store was out of pizza crusts. Took q while to get it together but tasted good when it came out! Made for My 3 Chefs, Nov 09.