1/1 Photo of French Onion Soup in Under an Hour
Crocheting Mama's Note:
I found this recipe on the back of the Swanson broth can. I am posting for ZWT3 as this is a classic French recipe and this seems a lot easier than most recipes and doesn't make a TON! There are 580 pages of results for French Onion Soup so I did the best I could to not duplicate! Hope this is ok and I hope this recipe turns out as good as it looks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 340.19 g onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1.23 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 (793.78 g) can reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth (Swanson recommended, 3 1/2 cups total)
- 59.14 ml dry white wine or 59.14 ml dry vermouth
- 4 slice French bread, toasted (optional -- rub bread with garlic clove before toasting)
- 118.29 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 1Heat oil in saucepot. Add onions. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes.
- 2Uncover. Add sugar and cook over medium heat 15 minutes, or until onions are golden.
- 3Add flour and cook and stir 1 minutes. Add broth and wine. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- 4Divide soup among four bowls. Top each with bread and cheese. (I'm sure you could also toast under the broiler for a minute or two if you have oven proof bowls.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup in Under an Hour
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.3
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 419.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth