1/1 Photo of French Onion Soup in Under an Hour
Crocheting Mama's Note:
I found this recipe on the back of the Swanson broth can. I am posting for ZWT3 as this is a classic French recipe and this seems a lot easier than most recipes and doesn't make a TON! There are 580 pages of results for French Onion Soup so I did the best I could to not duplicate! Hope this is ok and I hope this recipe turns out as good as it looks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 340.19 g onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1.23 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 (793.78 g) can reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth (Swanson recommended, 3 1/2 cups total)
- 59.14 ml dry white wine or 59.14 ml dry vermouth
- 4 slice French bread, toasted (optional -- rub bread with garlic clove before toasting)
- 118.29 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 1Heat oil in saucepot. Add onions. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes.
- 2Uncover. Add sugar and cook over medium heat 15 minutes, or until onions are golden.
- 3Add flour and cook and stir 1 minutes. Add broth and wine. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- 4Divide soup among four bowls. Top each with bread and cheese. (I'm sure you could also toast under the broiler for a minute or two if you have oven proof bowls.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup in Under an Hour
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.3
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 419.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth