Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from my sister-in-law but we made a few changes. Her original recipe is posted as French Onion Soup. Was there any doubt?
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cup)
- 6 slices French bread (toasted)
- Sauté onion in butter in 5 quart Dutch oven over low heat for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown and tender.
- Stir in broth, bouillon cube, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Ladle soup into four to six oven proof bowls, top with a slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese mix on top of bread.
- Place bowls on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Broil 3-5 inches from the heat 1-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- NOTE: You can add 12 ounces more of consomme or beef broth if you like.
I lost my favourite recipe for french onion soup and I think this may be it. I did omit the extra bouillon cube, and used very little butter for personal preference. This is easy to make and my family loved it. Thanks for the recipe.
The use of a bullion cube is not good for those of us who have severe allergies to MSG. There are boxed Beef Broth in stores now containing less salt ans no MSG now.