Recipe by Charlotte J
This is from my sister-in-law but we made a few changes. Her original recipe is posted as French Onion Soup. Was there any doubt?
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
I lost my favourite recipe for french onion soup and I think this may be it. I did omit the extra bouillon cube, and used very little butter for personal preference. This is easy to make and my family loved it. Thanks for the recipe.
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cup)
- 6 slices French bread (toasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in butter in 5 quart Dutch oven over low heat for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown and tender.
- Stir in broth, bouillon cube, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Ladle soup into four to six oven proof bowls, top with a slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese mix on top of bread.
- Place bowls on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Broil 3-5 inches from the heat 1-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- NOTE: You can add 12 ounces more of consomme or beef broth if you like.