Recipe by MexiYabby
Best with real Gruyere cheese, such as the imported reserve Gruyere available at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joes, and other organic supermarkets.
- 4 ounces butter
- 5 lbs yellow onions, julienned
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 1⁄2 quarts beef stock
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 -6 fluid ounces dry sherry
- as needed French bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter over low to medium heat in large stock pot.
- Sauté onions to soft and golden brown.
- Deglaze with .33 cup beef stock.
- Sauté onions to caramelize slightly darker.
- Deglaze with .33 cups beef stock again.
- Caramelize onions to dark brown.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow flavors to blend, about 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cut bread into .5 inch thick slices.
- Toast slices in oven or under broiler.
- Season soup to taste and add sherry.
- Fill crocks with hit soup.
- Top with toasted crostini and cheese.
- Pass under broiler until cheese bubbles and browns.
- Serve immediately.