1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is a restaurant quality soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leave
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread (thick slices) or 4 slices Italian bread (thick slices)
- 8 slices gruyere or 8 slices swiss cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese or 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, room temperature
- 4 pinches paprika
- 1Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions.
- 3Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- 4Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot.
- 5Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot.
- 6Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove and discard the herbs.
- 8Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.
- 10Preheat oven broiler.
- 11Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides.
- 12Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.
- 13Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet.
- 14Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup.
- 15Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese.
- 16Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.
- 17Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- 18As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal.
- 19Serve immediately!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup Gratinee
Serving Size: 1 (733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 3014.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme leaves