Deb's Recipes's Note:
I learned how to make this delicious soup by watching America's Test Kitchen. I'm glad I tuned in that day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 medium red onions, sliced thin (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sourdough baguette, sliced 2/3-inch thick, buttered, and toasted
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, sliced 1/16-inch thick
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1Tie herb sprigs together with cotton twine; set aside.
- 2Melt butter in a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat; add sliced onions and salt; stir to coat onions with butter.
- 3As you cook the onions, gradually reduce heat to medium and keep cooking the onions, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the onions are reduced and syrupy and the inside of the pot is coated with a deep brown crust; stir in broth, wine, and herbs; scrape the pot bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned onion bits as you bring the soup to a simmer.
- 4Simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended; discard herbs; stir in balsamic vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste ~ At this point, you may refrigerate the soup in an airtight container for up to 2 days, then return it to a simmer before finishing it.
- 5To finish the soup, place your oven rack to the upper-middle position and turn on broiler; place heat-safe bowls on a rimmed baking sheet; fill each bowl with one cup of soup; top each with two baguette slices, sliced Swiss cheese, then 2 tablespoons grated Asiago cheese; place the baking sheet with its soup bowls under the broiler; broil until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly; cool 5 minutes then serve.
- 6HINT: Slice the baguette on the bias so that two slices will fit your soup bowls.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup Gratinee
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 249.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: