1/2 Photos of French Onion Soup, Emeril Style! Delish!
1 hr 25 mins
I got this superb recipe from Emeril's show on French cooking. I just adore French onion soup, and haven't been able to find a recipe I liked, until I came across this one. This is a lot of work, but trust me, it is well worth the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 1360.77 g yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml cognac
- 1892.72 ml beef stock or 1892.72 ml broth
- 4 sprig fresh thyme, tied into a bundle with kitchen string
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 453.59 g gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- 118.29 ml port wine (optional)
- finely chopped parsley, garnish
- 1In a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 2Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the cognac.
- 3Return the pan to the heat and cook until the alcohol has evaporated. Be careful as the cognac may ignite.
- 4Add the beef stock and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the soup for 45 minutes.
- 5While the soup is simmering, toast the bread slices until light golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- 6Preheat the broiler.
- 7When the soup is ready, divide 1/2 of the toasted bread slices between 6 individual oven proof serving bowls or crocks and top with 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- 8Ladle some of the soup among the bowls and top with the remaining toasts.
- 9Ladle the remaining soup among the bowls and top with the remaining cheese.
- 10Place the bowls on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, golden brown and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- 11Remove from the oven.
- 12Optional topping:
- 13In a small bowl combine the egg yolks and Port and whisk to thoroughly combine. Pour some of the mixture evenly among the soup bowls, stirring in around the edges so that it is incorporated into the soup. (The heat of the soup will cook the egg yolk and this will thicken and enrich the soup.)
- 14Garnish the top with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup, Emeril Style! Delish!
Serving Size: 1 (788 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.8
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 2116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: