Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Was craving French Onion Soup, I combined 2 recipes and this is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 cups onions (I like the sweet onions)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup Wondra Flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups beef broth, divided (5 & 1)
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- shredded gruyere
- toasted sliced French bread
- Melt butter and combined with oil and onions. Cook for 1 1/2 hours stir occasionally. (You can cut down the cook time, but the longer you cook the onions, the softer and sweeter they get).
- Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf, cook 10 minutes.
- Add 5 cups beef broth and optional white wine, bring to a boil.
- Add remaining 1 cup beef broth to Wondra flour, dissolve flour in broth and add to soup. (This will thicken broth, if you want a thinner broth, either omit flour or cut the flour back).
- Add Kitchen Bouquet.
- Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Pour into ovenproof crocks or bowls. Top with slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese. Broil till cheese melts.
- NOTE: You can cut back on the times for step #1 and #6 to get it on the table faster.