1 hr 5 mins
Adrienne in Reisterstown's Note:
My cousin Susan and I agree that most good cooks tend to make a recipe their own. For example, when Susan and I make Applesauce cake with the whiskey icing, I leave out the raisins while Susan opts for mixed dried fruit. When I get in from work, I don't want to even THINK about having to concoct some chef-worthy meal. I just want it to taste like one using the ingredients I have on hand...haha!! This soup is tasty and great for a cold and rainy weekend. Go for it! And while you're going for it remember to make it your own. Do you prefer provolone or mozzarella to parmesano reggiano? Want a few more spices like a touch of celery seed or a dash of garlic? Experiment! I'd love to hear how it comes out for you and what you did to make it "your own"! Now for my notes on this one: I can't find veal stock in the grocery store...well not that I looked for it. I dislike veal intensely so I double up on the beef stock instead. Also, experiment with the onions for flavor variations. Honestly, Vadalia's have a different taste from reds and yellows. For your first time, try to select onions that you would feel comfortable putting on your tuna fish sandwich. Something with a slight sweetness to it but a bit of tang as well.
My Private Note
pot of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs yellow onions, halved, and sliced 1/4-inch thick (8 cups)
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1/2 cup brandy or 1/2 cup cognac
- 1 1/2 cups good dry white wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups veal stock (or just double up on the beef stock)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (or a cheese of your choice)
- 1In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, saute the onions with the butter and bay leaf for 20 minutes, until the onions turn a rich golden brown color.
- 2Deglaze the pan with the sherry and brandy and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the white wine and simmer uncovered for 15 more minutes.
- 4Add the beef and veal stocks plus salt and pepper.
- 5Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove the bay leaf, taste for salt and pepper, and serve hot with grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (2815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2144.8
- Calories from Fat 858
- Total Fat 95.3 g
- Saturated Fat 59.8 g
- Cholesterol 244.0 mg
- Sodium 10634.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.6 g
- Sugars 60.7 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: