Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until onions are tender but not colored.
- Uncover pan, increase heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring regularly until onions are rich caramel colour (10 to 15 minutes) DO NOT LET ONIONS BURN.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in beef broth and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6, 1-1/2 cup oven proof bowls.
- Top each with bread slice; sprinkle with swiss cheese and parmesan cheeses and paprika.
- Place bowls on jelly roll pan.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles.
Good recipe! Next time I may add another onion to the pot, and I increased the amount of pepper. I was surprised at how easy this was and that it came together so quickly.
This is an EXCELLENT soup! Made it just the way you have it here, then I used Swiss and Asiago cheeses at the end - wow! My husband liked it better than Panera's! This also froze well when I went on an extended trip to Japan and cooked ahead for my husband. He just defrosted it in the microwave, heated it for 2 minutes, added the bread, topped with cheeses and broiled for 2 minutes. This is definitely a keeper! Thank you!
First time ever making french onion soup. Thank you for such an easy and quick recipe. I used sweet Vidala Onions and did not add the sugar. This soup was a huge hit. My b/f who normally suffers after eating onions, had no problem, perhaps the Vidala Onions, not sure, but Thank You for a Easy and Tasty Recipe!!!