Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
French comfort food - perfect for the cold weather. This is my favourite onion soup recipe because it's EASY!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups chicken stock (the beef will make a darker, more robust soup)
- 12 slices French baguettes, ½ inch thick,toasted
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 3 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter with oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and sugar and cook until lightly-coloured, stirring occasionally, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 ½ hours.
- Season to taste.
- (can be prepared 1 day ahead) Preheat broiler.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof bowls.
- Top with 2 slices of toasted bread each, sprinkle with 1/3 cup Swiss cheese each, sprinkle with ½ tsp Parmesan cheese each.
- Broil until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Made this for dinner,it;s been very cold here in the eastern US.The taste was great the kids loved it,great arroma around the house . The perfect soup for a cold night
I really enjoyed this but hubby said he would prefer I try it with beef broth
This was soo very yummy and delicious. I halved the recipe since I was making just for me. I liked the fact the bread got toasted before putting it in so it didn't get totally soggy. I did forget the swiss cheese at the grocery store so I just used Parmesan cheese and it turned out fine. I also used a beef stock which made the soup flavorful. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.