1/1 Photo of French Onion Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Better than restaurant onion soup. Make the entire quantity and place in freezer in heavy duty freezer bags. When vidalias are in season, I double and triple the recipe to have the soup on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 5 lbs vidalia onions, thinly sliced (OR substitute spanish or hawaiian onions. DO NOT USE RED SALAD ONIONS.)
- 7 teaspoons better than bouillon beef base or 7 cans beef broth
- 3 teaspoons better than bouillon chicken bouillon granules or 3 cans chicken broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups dry white wine
- French bread, slices toasted (see below)
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- cheese slice (mozzarella, swiss, or gruyere)
- 1Make stock by bringing 10 cups water to boil.
- 2Add beef and chicken bouillon pastes (or heat canned beef and chicken broth).
- 3Lower heat to simmer and let simmer while preparing onions.
- 4Melt butter slowly (so it does not brown) in large soup pot over low heat.
- 5Add thinly sliced onions.
- 6Stir, cover, and cook on low heat until lightly brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 mins.
- 7Add wine, bring to boil, scraping up browed bits.
- 8Cook about 5 mins.
- 9stirring occasionally.
- 10Add about 5 good shakes of worcestershire sauce.
- 11Add stock to onions.
- 12Bring to boil, turn heat down to simmer and simmer uncovered about 1 1/2 hrs.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14BREAD SLICES- BRUSH OLIVE OIL ON SLICES.
- 15SPRINKLE WITH PARMESAN AND PLACE IN OVEN ON COOKIE SHEET AT 375f UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWN.
- 16Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls.
- 17Float bread on top of soup.
- 18Top with 2 or 3 cheese slices.
- 19Place in oven or microwave until cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2965 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 128.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g