Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef stock, preferable homeade
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices French bread, each 1/2 inch thick
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan, add the onions and cook gently, covered, for about 20-25 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir well.
- Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, wine, worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the bread slices on both sides with oil or melted butter and arrange on baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Rub with the cut sides of garlic while the bread is still warm; discard the garlic.
- Set the bread aside.
- Put the two slices of bread in each bowl and ladle the soup over the toasted bread slices.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.