Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The most AMAZING French Onion Soup!
- 5 -6 lbs vidalia onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes beef stock
- Cut onions to 1/4inch slices.
- Melt butter in large pot and add onions, season with salt, cook on Medium heat.
- After 20-30 minutes when onion have shrunk by about half add garlic, thyme, sugar and bay leaves.
- Cook for another 45min-1hr, only stir occasionally, until onion are caramelized and DARK brown.
- Add wine and scrap the bottom of the pot for stuck bits.
- Let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and let cook for 10min-1hr.
- Add Salt as needed.