Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Based on a recipe from Jeff Smith’s cookbook, The Frugal Gourmet. He recommends using his Basic Brown Stock, Basic Brown Soup Stock, in order to avoid the “salty flavor you find in restaurant soups.” I often use low-sodium canned beef stock when I’m pressed for time. This recipe is a guide for a single serving, so adjust ingredient quantities accordingly.
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced for each bowl
- 14.79 ml butter, for each bowl
- 0.25 ml dry sherry, for each bowl
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese or 14.79 ml romano cheese, grated
- 354.88 ml low-sodium beef stock, boiling
- 1 slice French bread, toasted
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- Sauté onion slices in butter.
- In a 12-ounce soup bowl, add slices of sautéed onion, dry sherry and Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Pour soup stock over all in bowl and add salt to taste.
- Serve soup in bowl topped with a slice of French bread covered with Swiss cheese.