Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great way to warm yourself up in the Fall / Winter. It tastes way better than what you get in the restaurants!!! Maybe the addition of Merlot...?
- 2 (1814.36 g) box beef broth
- 750 ml bottle merlot or 750 ml bottle cabernet sauvignon wine
- 6-8 yellow onions (chopped)
- 118.29 ml butter
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 3-4 beef bouillon cubes
- italian seasoning
- 226.79 g bagshredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 slice wheat bread
- Sautee yellow onions and butter until soft.
- Add Beef Broth and 3/4 bottle of the wine.
- Bring to boil adding remaining ingredients to taste (we love a lot of worcestershire!).
- Once at a boil, bring down to simmer and allow time for the wine's alcohol to cook off.
- We've found that the worcestershire sauce and wine combo really makes the soup delicious.
- Serve soup with some cheese already in the bowl and place a slice of bread and more cheese on top.
- Melt and serve.
Yum! What a great soup. I made as directed and used a cabernet for the wine. Simple, easy, and delish. Thanks for sharing this nice keeper. Made for Best of 2011 tag.
Thanks to pic a chef I chose this recipe to try.
OMG Wow what a great onion soup!
I chose to use cabernet sauvignon wine in ours. I would not change a thing in this recipe.
Top onion soup.