1/1 Photo of French Onion Soup
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Yeah, I know, everyone has a recipe. This one is an amalgamation and modification of two I found out there by Michael Smith and Ricardo, and our family loves it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- splash water
- 0.5 (341 ml) bottle ale or 0.5 (341 ml) bottle beer
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 8 -12 slices baguette, toasted
- 2 cups grated cheese, a mix of cheddar and Monterrey or 2 cups other stretchy cheese
- 1Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onions and splash of water, and cover. Let onions soften at medium high for 10 minutes.
- 2Remove the lid, turn heat to low and begin to slowly caramelize onions, stirring frequently. This will take about one hour. I did this while watching tv (food shows, natch!) and got up to stir at every ad break.
- 3Season with salt and pepper, and add thyme and mustard. Add beer and bring to a boil, add chicken stock and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add more salt or pepper or stock if necessary.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Ladle the soup into 4 oven-proof onion soup bowls. Add toasted baguette slices. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake for 10 minutes. Bowls will be very hot. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cheese will be still delightfully melted!
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1063.7
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 75.6 mg
- Sodium 1803.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: