Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very delicious soup. Enjoy with a peice of toast.
- 6 medium onions, sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (optional)
- 6 slices French bread (dried in oven)
- grated swiss cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in butter until it is soft.
- Then add sugar, salt, and nutmeg and toss in pan.
- Turn down heat to still cook, but not to get onions dark, but golden brown.
- Add hot broth and all other liquids.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof casserole dishes or pots and top each with a peice of french bread.
- Put about 2 tbs of the swiss cheese on top and cook at 300 for 10 minutes.
- Serve with additional swiss cheese and parmesan.
Delicious! Wouldnt change a thing. Thank you!
I made this for Easter dinner. This was very easy to make - especially if you have a food processor! I don't have ovenproof bowls, so I just toasted the slices of bread in the toaster oven and then topped them with the cheeses and popped them back in the toaster oven to let the cheeses melt. I plopped the bread slices on top of the soup. Everyone enjoyed the soup very much. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
This was AWESOME soup! I have my own recipe that I always use and yours is BETTER and EASIER! Used 1/4 lb. of swiss cheese, sliced thin. I did not add the apple juice, but followed everything else to a T. Thanks for posting this...we have this a lot in the winter and this recipe made my life a whole lot easier :) P.S. Posted a yummy picture, too.