1/7 Photos of French Onion Soup
A classic French recipe, easy to make. The recipe calls for 'a croutes' which is roasted vienna bread. Instead of Vienna bread you could use other crusty bread. If you like a more garlicy soup you could rub the bread with garlic prior to roasting. You could also use croutons although this might alter the flavour of the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter in a soup pot and sauté the onions until very soft, at least 20 minutes.
- 2Add the Cognac and the wine and cook for one minute.
- 3Add the stock. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- 4Check the seasonings.
- 5Ladle into oven-proof soup bowls and set on a baking sheet. Top each with a croûte (roasted Vienna bread).
- 6Sprinkle the top generously with cheese. Broil in oven until the top is lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.0
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 1397.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 25.6 g