Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Taste of Home, with a few changes. It is absolutely the best French Onion I have ever ate!
- 6 cups onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 slices crusty bread, toasted (I use French)
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, cook onions, sugar, salt and pepper over medium-low for about 20-25 minutes. (Until onions are caramelized.).
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- To serve there are two options I do:.
- One is to put soup in oven proof bowls, put a slice of the toasted bread on top, then sprinkle cheese on top. Broil in oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Second is to place toast on a small plate, top with cheese and put in microwave for 20-30 seconds, then scoop that onto soup. Both ways work well.
- *I use a mandolin chopper to slice onions- works SOOO well.