Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is the most amazing french onion soup you will ever have. It is so rich and delicious, the wines give it a very nice flavor. It makes quite a bit so feel free to cut it in half. Enjoy!
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 (16 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans water (use broth cans)
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 3⁄4 cup Burgundy wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, sliced
- In a large pot melt butter with oil over med-high heat, add onions and cook until translucent, 12-15 minute.
- Add flour and sugar and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 min and stir in wine. Simmer for 2 more hours.
- Preheat broiler. Pour soup into oven safe crocks, top with a piece of bread and top with cheese.
- Place on pan in case of spillage and broil for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly.
We enjoyed this soup quite a bit and with a few minor adjustments would probably be 5 star. I cut the recipe in half and used the quantities stated. After the long simmer the soup was still pretty light flavored and not reduced as much as I expected, so I cooked at least an hour longer. I had to reduce it down to 3 servings to get enough onion flavor, so I would definitely add an extra onion next time. Also I would leave out most of the sugar, as we didn't love the sweetness. That said, we liked the texture and richness once it had reduced, and the gruyere was a perfect foil for the onion. I will make a full pot the next time! Made for PRMRT
Wow! This is worth the wait. It is delicious. Although I think my onions may have been a bit too large! But the delight once it is done makes all the time spent waiting on this delectable soup worth it! Thanks for posting. Made for PRMR tag!
I have never made French onion soup, and thought this came out great! I cut back the amount of butter and sugar, and subbed Fontina cheese. Yummy!