Recipe by weekend cooker
onion soup at its best, with sensational taste. Very simple to prepare.
Top Review by Shelby Jo
Sorry, this just had a funny taste...I can't place it but it just didn't turn out. I cut the onions back to 3 like Sue L recommended...it took a little longer than 20 minutes to cook them. This just wasn't the soup for us.
- 5 -6 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 -8 slices French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook onions, and garlic on low heat(DO NOT BROWN) in hot butter for about 20 minutes and stir several times.
- Transfer onion mixture to 4-5 quart slow cooker and add beef broth, worcestershire, pepper, and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-8 hours or on high for 2 1/2-4 hours.
- Before serving soup, toast bread slices with cheese slice on top.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and top with toast.