Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Came from a web-site, can't remember which one.
- 4 large onions
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1419.54 ml water
- 44.37 ml butter
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper, ground
- 1 French baguette
- 226.79 g shredded Italian cheese blend
- Slice the onions into rings and saute in butter in a skillet until tender.
- Turn crock pot on to low and put in water, bouillon cubes, bay leaves, garlic powder, worchestershire sauce.
- Add the cooked onion and butter mixture to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook for at least5 hours on low.
- At this point you may want to taste the soup and see if you would like it a little weaker - if so add a little water. Also at this time remove the bay leaves and discard them.
- When ready to serve, slice the French Baguette into thin slices and toast in a toaster oven at 350 until just crusty.
- Put toasted slices (1-3) in each bowl and cover with the cheese (adjust the to your liking). Then cover the bread and cheese with the hot soup. The cheese will melt and the bread will rise to the top,.
This was a wonderful recipe to try out on a cold, rainy evening. I am normally hesitant to try crock-pot recipes that require pre-prep, as I am not a morning person and bad things tend to happen if you ask too much of me before noon - this was well worth the extra effort! It couldn't be easier or more flavorful. I'd love to try this served in a homemade bread bowl sometime as well. Thanks so much - we'll be back for this one I'm certain!