Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
This is very easy and very, very tasty!!!
- 1⁄3 cup peanut oil
- 6 cups sliced onions
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 (10 ounce) cans condensed beef broth or 3 (10 ounce) cans condensed beef consomme
- 3 (10 ounce) cans water
- French bread
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- take the french bread, slice it., brush on both sides with oil, put them under the broiler for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a stock pot, then saute the onions to a light brown.
- Add the 3 cans of soup you can mix the two different kind.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Put the soup in individual bowls.
- Put a slice of toasted bread in each bowl, with cheese covering the bread.
- Put the bowls under the broiler for 10 minutes.
Absolutely scrumptuous soup. My husband is the French Onion Soup fanatic in this family, and he thought this was just as good as the same soup he orders at our favorite restaurant. I selected this recipe for PAC Fall '08, and I'm so glad I did. I will make this again and again and again. What a treat. I did note one discrepancy in the recipe. Flour is listed as an ingredient, yet I didn't see where in the instructions to add the flour. So I left it out, and I don't think the soup suffered any for it. It was absolutely delicious.