Recipe by Lanagirl
I started making this about 7 years ago when we were living in Hawaii. It is so rich and delicious. The best French Onion soup recipe I have ever had. I like it extra cheesy, so I put grated cheese on the bottom of the bowl before I ladle soup on top. I hope you enjoy.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I am in full agreement On this "best" recipe. I used the sweet onions available in my local market (from Peru) and ate the bacon for breakfast (how could you throw it out?). I ate half of it and used the other half to cook up a delicious chuck roast. Yum! Thanks for sharing Lana. Made for Fall PAC 2011.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings (4 bacon slices)
- 8 cups maui onions, thinly slices
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- sliced baguette, toasted
- swiss cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over med. heat fry 4 strips bacon until crisp. Discard bacon. Saute onions and shallots in bacon fat until tender. Add balsamic vinegar, wine, oregano, cook for 30 minutes. Stir frequently until the onions carmelize and are golden brown.
- Pous in chicken broth. Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occassionally. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soupn into 4 oven proof bowls. Float the sliced baguette ontop and sprikle with grated cheese. Broil until cheese melts.