Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Beef broth base onion soup.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large onions (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 29 ounces uncondensed beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 6 slices French bread, 1/2 inch thick (or sub. a crouton)
- 6 thin slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup water
- Half and thinly slice onions.
- Melt butter in large,deep pot over medium heat. Add onion and stir to coat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and browned.
- Uncover and increase heat to med-high, stir in sugar. Cook, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes stirring often.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, wine, and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Heat broiler and spread bread on baking sheet. Toast under broiler for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place 6 oven proof crocks on baking sheet and divide soup evenly among bowls.Place slice of toast on top of each bowl and top with cheese. Heat under broiler for 3 minutes or until melted and bubbly.