Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty soup any time of the year. My family especially loves this on a very cold winter day.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 medium size white onions, thinly sliced (about 3 lbs)
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices French baguettes (3/4 inch thick)
- 6 (1 ounce) swiss cheese, slices
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium high heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add chicken broth and next four ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Remove and discard herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into 6 oven proof bowls, top with bread and cheese slices. Broil, 5 1/2 inches from heat, 3 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.