Recipe by Lainey6605
There are several onion soup recipes on zaar, but this one is a little different and one that I've been making for years. I can't remember where I got it from, though. It doesn't take long to prepare.
Top Review by MISSIB
my hubby enjoyed this as I am not really an onion soup person. I found this to be an ok recipe. I cubed bread for easability in eating and made it in small soup crocks and served it with crusty bread/butter. easy to make.
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese or 1⁄4 lb gruyere, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large sweet onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth, not condensed
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions, garlic and brown sugar, cook about 15-20 minutes until golden and tender.
- Add in flour, beef broth, vinegar, 2 cups water, heat to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut 8 1/2-inch thick slices of bread.
- Toast slices in 325°F oven until brown.
- Turn oven to 425°F.
- When soup is ready, spoon into soup bowls or soup crocks.
- Place 2 slices of toast in each bowl. (If desired, cube the toast before placing in soup.
- Sprinkle each bowl with shredded cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts.