Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Mum says this is the best onion soup she has ever had, from Australian Woman's Weekly.
- 90 g butter
- 4 large onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (470 g) beef consomme
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 125 g butter, extra
- 1 garlic clove, extra
- 1 loaf French bread
- 250 g swiss cheese
- 60 g grated parmesan cheese
- Heat butter in a large pan, add peeled and thinly sliced onions and crushed garlic.
- Sauté gently until onions are golden brown.
- Add flour, stir until combined.
- Add sugar, undiluted soup, water, salt, pepper and red wine. stir until combined.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sherry, simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cut bread into 1 cm slices, you need 12 slices.
- Melt extra butter in a pan, add crushed garlic, stir until combined.
- Brush bread slices on both sides with butter mixture.
- Place under hot grill until golden brown on one side. do not brown other side.
- Pour soup into large ovenprrof bowl, place bread slices, toasted side down.
- Sprinkle combined grated cheeses over bread.
- Place soup bowl under hot grill until cheese is melted and golden brown (if you don't have a grill big enough to hold your soup bowl, sprinkle grated cheese on untoasted side of the bread, pressing cheese down firmly onto bread slices, place under a hot grill until melted and golden brown).
- Place bread in soup bowls, pour soup over.