Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the MDC Kitchen To Yours
- 4 large onions
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Cut peeled onions in half lengthwise.
- Slice into thin slices.
- Saute in butter in frying pan until a rich brown colour.
- Add beef stock or bouillon and salt.
- Simmer to distribute flavour and to finish cooking onion.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top with toasted slices of French bread or croutons.
- Cover with lots of cheese.
- Bake in 450°F oven or broil to melt and brown cheese.
Wonderful and so easy to make! I used Vidalia onions and beef consomme when I made this today. Swiss cheese is what I topped mine with place it under the broiler until melted and browned. Thank you for posting! I adopted this chef for the *Spring PAC 2008* game