1/3 Photos of French Onion Soup
Bertha C.'s Note:
One last comfort food for January.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 3 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth (I use 3 cans beef boullion and 1 cup water with a boullion cube)
- 1 cup grape juice
- 6 slices French bread, toasted lightly (1" thick)
- 1 1/2 cups grated gruyere or 1 1/2 cups swiss cheese
- 1In medium saucepan, heat butter and saute the onions on low heat for 20-30 minutes until soft and golden brown, stirring often.
- 2Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- 3Add beef broth and grape juice.
- 4Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5Taste for seasoning.
- 6(Can be made ahead up to this point.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 7Place soup in 6 ovenproof bowls.
- 8Top each bowl with a slice of French bread and about 1/4 cup grated cheese.
- 9Bake for 5 minutes until cheese has melted.
- 10Serve at once.
- 11Serves 6.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.5
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 36.4 mg
- Sodium 1727.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 19.4 g