- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 ounces port wine or 2 ounces sherry wine
- 900 ml beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 slices day old French bread
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepot, melt butter in olive oil and cook onions over medium-high until nicely softened. Add thyme.
- Pour in port and allow to cook mostly off.
- Add beef broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 - 10 minutes.
- Pour into soup bowls. Top with snug-fitting slice of bread (toasting helps it stay afloat) and shredded cheese.
- Broil until cheese is golden. Serve immediately.