Recipe by Valerie in Florida
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
Made for Hail to the Chefs-Food Network Challenge in Cooking Photos. I liked it, however, I think that good ole French Onion Soup is better with beef broth. This was tastier the second day after blending flavors in the fridge. Thanks for posting.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings (4 bacon strips)
- 6 vidalia onions, thinly sliced (3 pounds/8 cups)
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- sliced baguette, toasted and seasoned
- swiss cheese, grated
- flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan over medium heat, fry 4 bacon strips of bacon until crisp. Discard bacon. Saute onions and shallots in bacon fat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, wine and oregano; cook for 30 minutes. Stir frequently until the onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Blend in chicken broth. Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Float the croutons on top of soup and sprinkle with grated cheese. Broil until cheese melts. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley.