Recipe by John Sauerbeck
I have tried a lot of different recipes but this is the standard I measure them against. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Top Review by Paka
This was quick and tastes wonderful. My DH is an avid onion soup fan, he had two bowls! I put mozzarella on his bowl and swiss on mine, (I love swiss)! No French bread but homemade croutons were a great substitute. I also added 1t of Kitchen Bouquet which enhanced the flavors and gave it that dark rich color. I'll make this often as the winter winds will be blowing all too soon and this will be great comfort food. thanks.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine (2 glubs)
- 43 1⁄2 ounces beef broth (3 cans)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- French bread, 1/4 inch slices
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter with olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add onions and thyme.
- Toss to coat.
- Slowly cook onions, tossing occasionally until some of the onions start to brown.
- Add sherry, beef broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Top French bread with Mozzarella cheese slices; place in broiler.
- Broil until cheese is well melted.
- To serve ladle into bowl and top with a bread slice.