Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have tried a lot of different recipes but this is the standard I measure them against. If it's not broke don't fix it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine (2 glubs)
- 43 1⁄2 ounces beef broth (3 cans)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- French bread, 1/4 inch slices
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter with olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add onions and thyme.
- Toss to coat.
- Slowly cook onions, tossing occasionally until some of the onions start to brown.
- Add sherry, beef broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Top French bread with Mozzarella cheese slices; place in broiler.
- Broil until cheese is well melted.
- To serve ladle into bowl and top with a bread slice.
This was quick and tastes wonderful. My DH is an avid onion soup fan, he had two bowls! I put mozzarella on his bowl and swiss on mine, (I love swiss)! No French bread but homemade croutons were a great substitute. I also added 1t of Kitchen Bouquet which enhanced the flavors and gave it that dark rich color. I'll make this often as the winter winds will be blowing all too soon and this will be great comfort food. thanks.
This is delicious! I only wish there were an easy way to slice the onions. Other than that, this is a new staple in our house. Thank you, John! (I hope my photo does it justice.)
This was excellent - I especially love recipes that call for things I always have on hand. I don't understand Lens's criticism at all, since Gruyere is a cheese from Switzerland - it should be clear that the origin of the cheese is not from where French Onion Soup gets its name.