Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love french onion soup, my DH&DS's love meat, so this is a recipe we all enjoy. This is an open-sandwich. Better Homes and gardens recipe. I double the sauce so the toasted bread will be saturated
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 slices French bread, 1 inch thick (toasted)
- swiss cheese, chess cut in half
- In a large skillet, melt butter or oleo. Add steaks and cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or till done. Remove from skillet, reserving the drippings. Cook the onion in the drippings until tender. Combine the broth, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and a dash of pepper. Add to skillet. Cook until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Place on toasted bread top with swiss and onion mixture.
A little messy, but VERY tasty. The entire family asked me to make it again! I didn't find it to be too salty at all!
Would make again. My family liked very much. Very easy to make. A tad salty.