Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice alternative to the norm!
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- minced chives (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Cut Washington grown Yukon Gold potatoes in half if they are large.
- Leave skin on.
- Put in a large pot of water with a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cook 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Use a fork to make sure they are tender all the way through.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 4 Tbl.
- Cook until the butter melts and the milk is warm.
- Saute the onions in 2 Tbl.
- butter until caramalized to a golden brown.
- Then add the sherry to the pan (optional) and saute another 1-2 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Add the hot milk and butter mixture and start mashing.
- You can also do this in a mixer.
- Season with salt and white pepper, then add the onions.
- Fold in the cheese and top with chives.