Macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions, all the flavors of French onion soup.
Make and share this French Onion Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions, thyme, and bay leaf in butter for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, lower heat and cook until onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes, transfer to a plate, discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour for about a minute, then whisk in chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese to melt.
- Combine onions and cheese sauce with pasta and toss.