Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions, all the flavors of French onion soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions, thyme, and bay leaf in butter for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, lower heat and cook until onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes, transfer to a plate, discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour for about a minute, then whisk in chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese to melt.
- Combine onions and cheese sauce with pasta and toss.
This is an excellent recipe. All the measurements are just perfect. Instead of chicken stock, I used a French onion broth.
okay so i was in a rush 2 cook my dad dinner...i had a bag of penne rigate and some mild beef links...i know it sounds crazy but i made this work and it was WOOOOW! i didnt have thyme but substituted with parsley, used canned milk and used only garlic pepper with a tiny pinch of kosher salt...the kicker was slicing the beef links i had into thin slices, seasoning them w/ garlic pepper and putting them in the oven at 300 for about 15 minutes. I added them to the recipe last and WHOA! we literally stuffed ourselves! Thanks for this very simple yet very tasty recipe!!! I will try it the original way next time!
Sounds great however it fails to note the cheese in the ingredients