Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions, all the flavors of French onion soup.
Make and share this French Onion Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions, thyme, and bay leaf in butter for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, lower heat and cook until onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes, transfer to a plate, discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour for about a minute, then whisk in chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese to melt.
- Combine onions and cheese sauce with pasta and toss.
This is an excellent recipe. All the measurements are just perfect. Instead of chicken stock, I used a French onion broth.
okay so i was in a rush 2 cook my dad dinner...i had a bag of penne rigate and some mild beef links...i know it sounds crazy but i made this work and it was WOOOOW! i didnt have thyme but substituted with parsley, used canned milk and used only garlic pepper with a tiny pinch of kosher salt...the kicker was slicing the beef links i had into thin slices, seasoning them w/ garlic pepper and putting them in the oven at 300 for about 15 minutes. I added them to the recipe last and WHOA! we literally stuffed ourselves! Thanks for this very simple yet very tasty recipe!!! I will try it the original way next time!
Sounds great however it fails to note the cheese in the ingredients