1/2 Photos of French Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions, all the flavors of French onion soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions, thyme, and bay leaf in butter for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, lower heat and cook until onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes, transfer to a plate, discard bay leaf.
- 2Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- 4Whisk in flour for about a minute, then whisk in chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- 5Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in cheese to melt.
- 7Combine onions and cheese sauce with pasta and toss.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 983.3
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 134.4 mg
- Sodium 491.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 44.9 g